Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thing 3 RSS Feeds

I've been using RSS feeds for a year now and like that I can trust that information I want is being directed to me. What I haven't figured out yet is how to find the time to read it all and keep up with the all the professional interests.

Reading how others in this class have used the feeds for students is interesting and Claude Sigmund's frustration made me wonder if the kids are having the same time issue I'm finding. When given the choice of social interaction many of us in our rushed intense world will default to that which makes us comfortable rather than that which informs or challenges us. With that in mind I gave myself permission to create some feeds for personal interests of a fun nature; I've spent the last hour looking for something that was worthwhile to link to and didn't find any. Did find some good websites though; hopefully as more people learn about RSS feeds they will add them to their sites. Perhaps nothing interested me because I am looking for information rather than social connections and most of the blogs in the areas I was looking in were trying to make social connections.

So I switched tactics and decided to add some of the social justice networks that I'm involved in activism work through. Interestingly enough most allowed me to sign up for newsletters by email, which I had already done, such as the Southern Poverty Law Center but didn't have RSS feeds to up date when they've added to their blog or website. Catholic Relief Services and the American Lung Association did get added to my Bloglines however.

Next job for me is to create the habit of adding Bloglines to my daily reading.

No comments: